Saturday, July 6, 2013

Why I'm not big on matinees...

I've always had this weird thing about two-show days.

It's not fostered in laziness...I could have the smallest role in a show, spend half the track reading in the green room, yet a double always feels a little funny to me. I'm going to go ahead and assume it has something to do with the journey one takes in the course of a show. When you're aware that you are going to do the show again on any given day, there's always part of you that tends to be a little less engaged, considering the fact that energy is finite and one must meter it out to a certain degree.

Okay. Wait. It's not that I hate two-show days. It's that I LOVE one-show days!

Your timeline stays intact. You work your rituals from end to end (getting your water bottles filled, warming up, putting on your makeup, seeing other characters for the first time) and it keeps you more engaged in the now of the whole event you're part of.  I understand them as a financial necessity in most theatre schedules, but I just love the thoroughly "done" feeling of a single show day.

Especially in a show I love to do, like Shrek, it's by no means a hardship...but a one show day is certainly super-special.

c


No comments:

Post a Comment