Thursday, May 9, 2013

What looms ahead.

Hello World.

It's always been an ambition of mine to flesh out some of this ridiculous career of mine with a written (or in this case typed) record of events.

I shouldn't have waited this long.

38. December of 2012 I turned 38 years old. It's not a particularly outstanding number, nor was it a particularly outstanding birthday. It just...happened.

Suddenly the clock began to tick. My career's clock. It's loud. It's persistent. So...the time is now. Five months later. What am I doing? Well, first of all, I'm leaving Arizona and moving back to my family home in New Jersey, where I spent the first 28 years of my life. I have had a very good run out here in AZ, but my main theatre's shut down, and out here there are precious few venues that would seek to employ me consistently enough. It's time to make the big push.

I'm marketable. That's what all my friends say. I'd know if they were lying because I have always made a point of surrounding myself with true talent. If they say I'm capable, I buy it because I deem them capable, and the goodness they individually exhibit validates my personal opinion of them. It's a good system.

I'm going to return to NJ, re-introduce myself to the New York theatre scene and book something HUGE. It's going to happen because it has to. This is what I am, and it's all I've ever been even marginally good at. So, off I go.

But first...

As of next Sunday I venture to another theatre owned by my "home" company to do three productions that will carry me through to October. OCTOBER! That means, in order to make the title of this blog (and my aspiration) worth anything, I'll have 14 months to book a big, fancy gig by age 40.


Oh, hell...I've waited this long. Bring it the fuck ON.

A Closer Walk with Patsy Cline (for the third time)
Shrek (OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD)
Burt & Me (Bacharach Crack? We'll see...)

and then...

Broadway By Forty.

Welcome. Have a seat. Let's all do this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment